Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Drizzt Do'Urden

I finally bought the 6th book for the Legend of Drizzt: The Halfling's Gem. It's a fantasy book about a Dark Elf, Drizzt and his adventures. So far it has been an interesting read^^ The only thing missing from it is romance but the rest like friendship, adventure and humor(only a little) are present in the book. I'd like to share what Drizzt said which I think was quite good:

"I am dying. Every day, with every breath I draw, I am closer to the end of my life. For we are born with a finite number of breaths, and each one I take edges the sunlight that is my life toward the inevitable dusk.
It is a difficult thing to remember, especially while we are in the health and strength of our youth, and yet, I have come to know that it is an important thing to keep in mind- not to complain or to make melancholy, but simply because only with the honest knowledge that one day i will die can I ever truly begin to live...For only when a person completely and honestly accepts the inevitability of death is he free of the fear of it.
...Perhaps the greatest evil I see in this existence is when supposedly holy men prey upon the basic fears of death of the common folk to take from them. "Give to the church!" they cry. "Only then will you find salvation!"...
...I can only look at it and sigh, for as death is the greatest mystery, so it is the most personal of revelations. We will not know, none of us, until the moment is upon us, and we cannot truly and in good conscience convince another of our beliefs.
It is a road we travel alone, but a road that I no longer fear, for in accepting the inevitable, I have freed myself from it...
I cannot control the truth of death, whatever my desperation. I can only make certain that those moments of my life I have remaining are as rich as they can be.
-Drizzt Do'Urden

No comments:

Post a Comment